Break-ins are becoming popular in different neighbourhoods. Having an intruder in your home is dangerous, and it also leaves you feeling violated and vulnerable. To prevent burglars and other intruders from coming to your home, there are several things you can do like putting an alarm. Intruders mainly target houses that do not have any security features. There are many things you can do to ensure the safety of your home and most of them are not even costly. Here are ways you can ensure your house is safe even when you are not around.
1. Ensure that your doors and windows are burglar-proof. One way is by ensuring they are made from a strong material like aluminium and have alarms at the doors and windows that will notify you in case of a breach. You can have custom screens, and security products installed in your home and ensure they are reinforced.
2. If you have installed sliding doors and windows, ensure they are reinforced in a way that they cannot be opened from the outside. You can also have stops that prevent them from being opened more than 6 inches but ensure that you show those who are living with you how to remove the stops in case of an emergency.
3. Ensure your yard is tidy. Having bushes and clutter on your lawn gives thieves a place to hide, and it gives them better access to your home. Ensure things like ladders are not left in plain sight as an intruder might use it to access your roof.
4. Do not advertise your absentia on social media. As tempting as it is to post those vacation pictures, put it on hold until you are back home. Posting them earlier might inform intruders that the home is empty and they will break in.
5. Do not flash your expensive possessions around since it lets thieves know what they can come and steal. If you have to throw away packaging, put it in the garbage can instead of throwing it out on the street. Having Wireless Video doorbell is another fine way to make sure you are safe. The price is also less somewhere around $50-$190 depending on your budget you can get a good one. Also, nowadays these are wireless so having wireless based one is very good for you as they have features like camera, alarm etc.
6. Have motion censored lights outside your home as thieves will run away the moment they find themselves in bright light when they approach the house.
7. Have window blinds and curtains and close them at night. Leaving them open gives outsiders a chance to see what is in your home and this can turn you into a target.
8. Always lock your garage as someone might get access to your home from the garage. Any doors and windows leading to the garage should be fastened at night and when you are not around.
9. Have a neighbor collect your mail for you when you are not around. You can also have someone you trust switch on the lights in the house randomly when you are not around as this gives the illusion that there is someone residing in the house.
10. Also get to know your neighbors when you move in. They will be the first to help you in case you are attacked and will take care of your house when you are away.